Asymmetrical hem wrap skirts have been taking the fashion world by storm lately. Their flattering silhouette and breezy vibe make them an effortlessly stylish staple that every wardrobe needs. If you’re curious about trying out this gorgeous skirt style, you’ve come to the right place!
This comprehensive guide will teach you everything you need to know about asymmetrical hem wrap skirts. We’ll recommend the top 5 styles, provide tips for choosing the perfect one for your body type and style, share ideas for wearing them for any occasion, and answer frequently asked questions.
Whether you’re petite, tall, curvy, athletic or anything in between, we’ll help you wrap yourself in confidence and timeless chic. Let’s get started!
The Rise of the Asymmetrical Hem Wrap Skirt
Wrap skirts have always been a flattering closet staple thanks to their waist-cinching silhouette. The asymmetrical hem trend takes them to the next level by adding a touch of modern edge and visual interest.
The uneven hemline creates shape and movement while still showcasing your legs. Since the wrap style adjusts to fit snugly around your waist, it is universally flattering.
Asymmetrical hem wrap skirts first gained popularity in the 1970s but have recently made a major comeback.
Their laidback boho vibe fits perfectly with the ’70s inspired fashion that is everywhere right now. Brands like Free People, WAYF, and Anthropologie all offer countless versions.
Beyond their retro chic style, these skirts are also wildly versatile. They can be dressed down for daytime but still carry a flirty vibe for date night with a few minor styling tweaks.
Keep reading to discover the top 5 asymmetrical styles, pro tips for choosing your perfect skirt, and endless ideas for rocking this look all year long!
The Top 5 Asymmetrical Hem Wrap Skirts
With so many brands hopping aboard the asymmetric hem trend, there are countless options to choose from ranging from budget friendly to couture.
To help you narrow it down, we’ve selected the top 5 based on fit, popularity, reviews and overall style.
1. SheIn Asymmetrical Hem Knit Wrap Skirt
- Mini length knit skirt with crossover waist tie and asymmetric hem
- Available in black, khaki, brown, green, and blue
- Stretchy, ribbed fabric hugs curves
- Hits above knee in front with longer back hem
- Great basics skirt for petite women
- Only $15!
Pros: Inexpensive, stylish basic. True to size fit. Soft, stretchy fabric.
Cons: Runs short, not ideal for tall women. Thin material prone to pilling.
Best for: Casual wear, going out, parties, clubbing
Style ideas: Crop top or bodysuit and sneakers; Cami and leather jacket for night out
2. WAYF Ronda Asymmetrical Hem Wrap Skirt
- Midi length chiffon wrap skirt
- Smocked elastic waistband with side tie
- Allover leopard print
- Subtle high-low hem
- Floaty, lightweight fabric
Pros: Flattering on all body types. Adjustable slim fit. Side tie is secure. High quality material.
Cons: Dry clean only. Limited color/print options. Runs large.
Best for: Everyday wear, vacation, events, wedding guest
Style ideas: With simple white tee and sandals; Tank top and jean jacket for evening
3. Free People Smooth Sailing Skirt
- Cotton gauze button front maxi skirt with front slit
- Navy and white striped pattern
- Subtle high-low hem and side vents
- Smocked back waistband
Pros: Versatile length options. Flattering on tall or curvy figures. Packs well for travel.
Cons: Needs ironing. Button front gapes open. Thin fabric shows lines.
Best for: Beach cover ups, summer events, casual wear
Style ideas: Bikini top, loose tank or tee, sandals or wedges
4. BB Dakota by Steve Madden Zelia Wrap Skirt
- Vegan leather asymmetrical wrap skirt
- Mini length with side tie closure
- 3 colors – black, caramel, olive
- Bodycon fit hugs curves
Pros: High quality faux leather. Structured shape holds silhouette. Secure side tie.
Cons: Tight fit not for all body types. Dry clean only. No size chart – runs very small!
Best for: Date night, night out, edgy events, photo shoots
Style ideas: Bodysuit or fitted cami, strappy heels, leather moto jacket
5. Halogen Asymmetrical Hem Wrap Skirt
- Midi skirt with elastic waist, no closure
- Lightweight, flowy viscose fabric
- Subtle high-low hem
- Pink and green abstract painterly print
Pros: Flattering on many figures. Easy pull-on wear. Stretchy waist. Wrinkle resistant fabric.
Cons: Loses shape over time. Limited colors/prints. Runs large.
Best for: Workwear, casual office style, day dates, summer events
Style ideas: Blouse, cropped jacket, ballet flats or loafers for work; Cami and sandals on weekends
Now that you’ve gotten a taste of some top-rated asymmetrical wrap skirt styles, let’s go over some tips for choosing the perfect one for your body type and style needs.
How to Choose the Ideal Asymmetrical Hem Wrap Skirt
The great thing about wrap skirts is their universally flattering silhouette. However, some variations will be more ideal for certain body types and style preferences. Follow these tips to find your perfect match:
Consider Your Body Type
- Petite women should opt for above the knee lengths to avoid getting lost in too much fabric. A higher waist placement helps elongate your legs as well.
- Tall or long legged ladies can choose mini, midi or maxi lengths. Try a maxi for daytime and mini hem for evenings. Lower waist placement balances height.
- Curvy figures look great in body-skimming midis. Avoid stiff fabrics that cling to every curve. Instead choose something with stretch or fluid drape.
- Athletic body types can balance fuller skirts with tighter camis and bodysuits on top. This contrasts your fit upper and looser lower half.
- Plus size women slay in asymmetrical styles! Focus on fit through the hips and waist. Flowy maxi lengths add drama.
Pay Attention to Fabric
- Light, flowy chiffon or crepe is perfect for full, sweeping silhouettes and warmer weather.
- Stretchy knits in jersey or ponte work well for fitted bodycon styles.
- Crisp cottons like poplin and shirting hold their shape. Great for more tailored looks.
- Faux leather or vegan suede creates an edgy, sexy vibe.
- Velvet and satin fabrics drape beautifully on the body for dressier occasions.
- Mini lengths hitting mid-thigh are sexy and leggy. Great for nights out.
- Easy to dress up or down, midi lengths ending below or at the knee are very versatile.
- Maxi lengths are perfect beach cover-ups or for a dramatic boho goddess vibe.
- More modest for daywear, high-low variations show hints of leg in the front with a longer back.
- Side tie closures cinch in the waist and create definition through the hips.
- Front ties highlight your waist and are easy to adjust.
- Try an elastic waistband for comfortable pull-on wear. Look for smocking or ruching to add shape.
- Fixed waistbands hold their structure well, but don’t allow adjustments.
Patterns and Colors
- Neutral solids like black, tan, navy or white match everything.
- Bold prints and florals make the skirt the main focal point of your outfit.
- Metallic sheens or subtle shimmers work for evenings out.
- Look for colors and patterns that flatters your skin tone.
- Lighter, muted shades for daytime and rich, deep jewel tones at night.
- Light, flowy fabrics like chiffon, crepe and gauze work best for spring and summer.
- In colder months opt for structured materials like denim, leather, velvet or wool.
- Jersey knits work year-round for their comfortable stretch.
- Casual jersey knits or denim are perfect for daytime activities.
- Silky satin or chiffon elevates the skirt for cocktail parties and events.
- Crisp, tailored cottons and ponte knits transition well to the office.
- Plunging front slits or high hems make mini versions ideal for nights out.
- Maxi lengths keep you covered up as a beach or poolside coverup.
- Adjustable waist ties are great if your weight fluctuates.
- Active women should consider stretch fabrics that move with you.
- For professional settings, solid colors and conservative hems are best.
- Frequent travelers will love skirts that pack flat and wrinkle free.
- You can find inexpensive basics from fast fashion brands like Forever21 and H&M.
- For higher quality, expect to pay $50-$150 from popular retailers like Free People and Anthropologie.
- Upscale designers offer luxe styles but will cost you upwards of $200+.
How to Style Asymmetrical Hem Wrap Skirts
Now for the fun part – styling! Asymmetrical hem wrap skirts are incredibly versatile for any season, setting or occasion.
Casual Daytime Outfits
These ideas work great for weekends, brunch, shopping, travel and everyday wear:
- T-shirt or tank tucked in + denim or leather jacket + flats
- Crop top + loose kimono cardigan + white sneakers
- Graphic tee half-tucked + jean jacket + booties
- Flowy blouse tied at waist + woven sandals
- Bodysuit + oversized cardigan + flat mules
Night Out and Date Night
Amp up the allure of your asymmetrical skirt for your next evening adventure:
- Silky cami + strappy stilettos
- Lacy cropped tank + black booties
- Satin or strappy cami + sheer kimono + wedges
- Bodysuit + leather moto jacket + strappy heels
- Cropped bustier top + ankle strap heels
Beach and Poolside Coverup
Beat the heat in breezymaxi and high-low styles:
- Swim top + maxi skirt + flip flops or sandals
- Bikini top + mini skirt + strappy sandals
- Swimsuit + sheer kimono + tan wedges
- Solid color maxi + sunhat + jewelry for evening walks
Keep it professional for the office with these ideas:
- Button down blouse tucked in + ballet flats
- Sweater or blazer + midi skirt + loafers
- Silky cami + blazer + booties
- Cropped sweater + heels
- Fitted tee + cardigan + smoking flats
Make a dramatic entrance at your next cocktail party, wedding or event:
- Satin cami + sparkly statement earrings + heels
- Lacy cropped tank + strappy heels + cute clutch
- Dramatic floral top + rhinestone necklace + wedges
- Embellished blouse + strappy heels
- Velvet cami + strappy heels + elegant clutch
Jet set in style with these travel-friendly looks:
- Airy tunic or tank + sandals + sunhat
- Swimsuit coverup + wedges for evenings
- Maxi skirt + strappy sandals + big beach bag
- Shorter hem + bathing suit top + flip flops
Asymmetrical Hem Wrap Skirt Styling Tips and Tricks
Follow these pro tips to accentuate your assets and get the most flattering fit:
- Tuck in tops and blouses to highlight your waist.
- Add a belt over fitted tops for definition at the waist.
- Cinch and tie the waist very snugly to create a body-skimming silhouette.
- Layer with a flowy kimono or duster cardigan to add coverage and shape.
- Wear heels to elongate legs – ankle straps are perfect for showing off the skirt hem!
- Contrast proportions – try a fitted top with a full skirt or vice versa.
- Crop it – cropped jackets and tops balance the volume of a full skirt.
- Draw eyes up with long statement necklaces.
- Fill in v-necklines with a colorful scarf or cascading necklace.
- Cuff or roll sleeves on blouses and tops to make them more fitted.
- Avoid bulk – hold your clutch bag under your arm vs tucked under it.
- Petite gals aim for above the knee lengths and higher waist placements.
- Tall ladies go for maxi lengths and lower waist ties with flats.
- Curvy girls choose stretchy fabrics and snug waist ties to show off those curves!
- Athletic figures balance the skirt with tighter fitted tops.
- Professional settings call for conservative hems – midis and maxis are best.
Caring for Your Asymmetrical Wrap Skirt
Follow these simple care instructions to keep your skirt looking fab:
- Check the fabric care label for specific washing, drying and ironing directions.
- Most styles can be machine washed cold on a gentle cycle.
- Avoid dryer heat and hang to dry instead to maintain the skirt’s shape and prevent shrinking.
- Iron on low heat as needed, or use a steamer if the fabric is prone to scorching.
- Wash dark colors separately to prevent fading and dye transfer.
- Place delicates in a mesh laundry bag before washing to avoid snags.
- Hand wash only ultra delicate fabrics like silk that require extra gentleness.
- Spot clean stains as needed using a small amount of mild detergent and cold water.
- Be sure to store folded or on a skirt hanger to avoid stretching out the waistband.
- Dry clean embellished fabrics or heavy knits prone to shrinking.
- Avoid direct sunlight which can cause fading – especially with darker colors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have some burning questions about how to rock the asymmetric hem trend? Here are answers to some common FAQs:
Q: Are asymmetrical hem wrap skirts flattering for all body types?
A: The wrap silhouette is universally flattering, and the asymmetric hem adds modern edge to this classic style. Focus on proper fit through the hips and waist for your body type.
Q: How versatile are asymmetrical hem wrap skirts?
A: Extremely versatile! They easily transition from day to night and span all seasons. Dress up with heels and jewelry or down with sneakers and a tee.
Q: What tops look best with an asymmetrical hem skirt?
A: Cropped, tucked, or fitted tops help balance the volume of the skirt. Flowy blouses also work well to contrast the skirt silhouette.
Q: What shoes work best with asymmetrical hem wrap skirts?
A: Almost any shoe works! Sneakers, sandals, pumps, booties, wedges and boots complement the hem. Go for ankle straps to show it off!
Q: Can I wear an asymmetrical wrap skirt to work?
A: Yes! Opt for a conservative midi length in a solid, neutral color. Pair with flats and a professional blouse tucked in. Add a blazer or cropped cardigan.
Q: How do I stop my wrap skirt from opening?
A: Tie it snugly and double knot the waist ties. Use a belt or fashion tape if needed. Look for styles with an elastic component in the waistband.
Q: Any tips for walking comfortably in a longer, narrow wrap skirt?
A: Take small, measured steps and hold the front of the skirt lightly closed as you walk. You can also add a front or side slit for greater ease of movement.
Q: What type of underwear works best?
A: Seamless thongs, briefs or boyshorts that don’t show lines under the clingy fabric. Also select nude or matching colors.
We hope this guide gave you all the tools you need to confidently rock an asymmetrical hem wrap skirt!
This effortlessly chic staple flatters all figures. It can take you from the beach to the office and everywhere between. Just add the right top, shoes and accessories to fit the occasion.
You can find trendy asymmetrical styles from all your favorite brands like Free People, Anthropologie,Urban Outfitters and more! Check both their stores and websites for the best selection.
Some other great places to shop include Nordstrom, Revolve, Lulus, ASOS, Nasty Gal and Show Me Your Mumu for beautiful boho inspired wraps.
For more elevated and luxurious fabrics, check out designer brands like Cushnie, Alejandra Alonso Rojas, and Dodo Bar Or. Veronica Beard and Michael Kors also offer polished twists on the asymmetrical wrap skirt.
Wherever you choose to shop, look for quality construction with structured waistbands that will hold their shape. This classic silhouette pairs just as well with a basic tee as an elegant blouse, so it will earn a prime spot in your closet rotation.
Wrap yourself in the effortless confidence and allure of a flattering high-low hemline. This skirt style flatters all figures and takes any outfit to the next level of chic!